Sunday, January 15, 2012

Show & Tell - an interview with Devon Smith

Ce. Leh. Brate. Good times, come on! This is the very first of what will be many interviews with awesome creative people in New Zealand. I've called it Show & Tell.

First up, illustrator Devon Smith. She paints gouache and watercolour pictures of serious ladies and cute animals. As well as commissioned illustration work, she just draws "whatever she wants" for her own range of fine art prints and nice paper goods...



Tell us the story of how you came to be a career artist?

I never really dreamed of having any measure of financial success as an artist. I would say I'm pragmatic, but my mother would probably say I'm pessimistic. 

I did the usual stuff, art school and what not, but I really just ran with what I've always been doing, which is just drawing for myself. 

I still have a part time day job, so I'm not 100% supporting myself as an artist yet, but I'm hoping this is the year I make the change to full time artist. 






What have been your biggest challenges or frustrations along the way?

The biggest frustration, which is ongoing and probably always will be, is finishing something I really love and having no real positive response to it. It's really hard to guess what people will like, not that that is what drives my creative output. Often something I don't think is that amazing is the work that people will go crazy over.


Deciding to pursue a commercial artist career over a fine art career is also something I have struggled/ still struggle with. I'm trying to juggle both at the moment, but exhibiting has definitely taken a back seat as of late.


































What's the biggest lesson you've learnt and how has it shaped your career?

Just to be passionate about what you are doing. If you're not it's nearly impossible to sustain a creative career. I think this has made me a pretty self driven person.

















What advice would you give to other New Zealand creatives trying to make it?
I don't know If you could really say I've made it... I've been lucky to land some really great jobs with some really great people, but I've still got a long way to go. 

The most useful advice I could give us just to keep creating for yourself - and keep working hard. Also surrounding yourself with supportive and honest people is super useful.
























OK - favourite piece of work you've done and why?
Probably my 'little bear' painting. I was having a really tough time when I painted it, so I guess it was quite cathartic. It's a little bit different to my usual stuff, so maybe that's why I like it.   Maybe I just like bears.































Who is an artist or designer you admire?
It's so hard to pick just one person... I admire so many artists! I just bought a really great typographic print off Dear Colleen, I love type based art at the moment.  Maybe because it's so different from my own work, I'm very impressed with it. 

What is your dream for your career - where would you like to take it?
I've just started work on a tshirt line, and I'm really hopeful that that will take off. Next step is tattooing! That's what i ideally want to be doing.





































What are you working on right now?
I'm working on my first exhibition proposal in nearly a year. The work is quite different from my usual stuff, so it's pretty scary for me to be devoting so much time to. Also working on some wooden laser cut jewellery, which I will hopefully be releasing in a couple of months. 

Show and Tell time! Give us a little peek into your creative space, and what inspires you in it...














































This is the corner of my work desk ( which is actually a set of tall plan drawers), with all my various paints. The little name sign is from my last craft fair, and the wall is covered in postcards by my favourite artists (you can see a Mel Stringer there) and photo booth pictures of friends. 





















This is my second desk, with my painting space. There is nothing that inspiring in this picture (unless you count the nudey postcard a friend just sent me from Sydney) but I thought it would be nice to show what I'm working on right now! 


Some tiny animals and girly things. The nail polish is supposed to be deterring me from biting my nails but it isn't really working. 


Devon sells super-lovely art prints, originals, gift cards, t-shirts and more over at her Etsy shop, here. You can own a Devon Smith piece for as little as $4 - that's crazy good. 
You can also check out her website or blog or follow her on Tumblr or Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment