Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sapna's Jewels!

Excuse me while I hyperventilate...


...for I love Sapna Mehra's pretty jewels!

I just can't pick and choose the ones that I like the best, because I like them all! I know, I know...the yada yada about not being greedy and all...but will you just look at these pretty little things?! How can I resist? Neither can you, once you look through the entire collection here and here! And 'tis being the time to give, Sapna and I have a fabulous giveaway and a generous discount offer just for you, coming up in the post!


As Sapna and I chatted over email, she graciously shared her story and inspiration with me. Reading through her journey, I could see how her passion, persistence and global experience has helped shape her beautiful collection. 


A snippet from Sapna's journey, in her own words:

I grew up in suburban NJ.  My father was an engineer and also an amateur singer and musician and loved classical and semi-classical music and ghazals.  My mother was a graphic artist and had a studio in our home where she painted landscapes, and gods and goddesses in oils. I spent many summers of discovery and adventure in Jodhpur and Jaipur, my parent’s hometowns. Later, in college, I studied Comparative Literature and loved my courses on post-colonial theory, religions of the East, cinema studies and literature of India and the fantastic. 
I moved on to work for many small businesses in different capacities and had a stint as an assistant for a Madison Avenue gallery specializing in South and South East Asian antiquities. I was able to research countless works of art and came to build an understanding of iconography and symbolism in South Asian art.  I especially fell in love with the beauty and playful elegance of Indian miniatures and with the complexities of Buddhist iconography in Tibetan, Nepali, Cambodian and Indian sculptures.
 


Starting in late 2001, I spent months at a time in Jaipur, working with jewelry making artisans and tradesmen learning about gems, traditional jewelry making techniques and the intricacies of production. In 2007, I quietly launched myself as a designer with a clear vision to produce a collection that exemplified the skills of kundan and meena artist while creating designs that were meaningful and fit contemporary and cosmopolitan lifestyles. My hope is that when people wear my jewelry, they feel inspired, empowered and delight in a bit of rustic luxury. I love the idea of the global soul!


"The Giveaway"


Sapna would like to gift a necklace from her Asmi collection to one happy chirpy reader. What you need to do is:
  • Read up more about the Asmi range
  • Leave a comment on this post with: 
    • Your life path number (calculate here), or, the number of the Asmi necklace you would like to win, and
    • Tell us "What does being a global soul mean to you?"
That's it! Sapna and I will pick one winner based on the answer. Unfortunately, there are shipping restrictions that don't allow Sapna to ship jewelry from the US to India, and hence, the giveaway is open only to readers outside of India (baaah! I am crying with you, girls!).


The contest is open for a week, and I'll announce the winner by updating this post on Dec 21st. Make sure to come back and check if you are the lucky one! 

And more..

You can buy Sapna Mehra Jewelry from her etsy store or from her site. And for the rest of this month, get a 15% discount using the code AIS15.

Thank you Sapna! You and I will enjoy the lovely comments that come in over virtually shared glasses of mulled wine :)


[Credits & Links: Sapna Mehra Jewelry, Etsy Store, Connect on facebook, Tumblr blog]



~ Winner Update | Dec 21st, 2011 ~

Thank you so much for your beautiful comments! I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your descriptions of a global soul.

Here's what Sapna had to say about the comments, and, the one lucky winner!
 
I read through all the comments many times over and am overwhelmed with the inspiring, uplifting and thoughtful responses!

I want to say thank you to all the people who posted their comments - everyone one of them describes the global soul so beautifully...I will come back and read the comments any time I need some inspiration!

A comment that really resonated for me is from Laura Bourassa. I think Laura's comment speaks to the intimate, universal human conditions, the things that connect us to each other, even as we celebrate our differences and diversity. That is 'the web of life'.  We speak different languages, live on different continents and pursue different dreams, all on this same earth. We are all actively engaged in 'the endless cycles' and that's what connects us. 

As we journey on our own individual paths, and face our own struggles, it's comforting and encouraging to remember that there are so many others that are struggling, achieving, living and loving, just like you. No one is alone.  What a beautiful thought and I'm quite moved by it! 

Congratulations Laura

Please write to Sapna with your shipping address and, do let us know how you enjoy your Asmi necklace :)


No comments:

Post a Comment