Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Show & Tell: an interview with furniture designer Warren Twisleton


How did Lujo get started?
I was renovating a house at the time and had been looking at freestanding hammocks. A few designs caught my eye, but the quality was really bad. So I started designing, and somehow, within the next 6 months, I had a product - the Lujo hammock. This was about 5 years ago. Since then, I've been almost continuously evolving and improving the hammock's design, and have also launched a range of designer bean bags - chairs, ottomans and loungers.

Have you always been a designer?
I've always been interested in design, but I went off and got my marketing degree and was working as a marketing manager for a company in Australia when I had the idea for Lujo. I've always wanted to do my own thing though, that was the biggest inspiration for me.

What has been the highlight of Lujo journey so far?
Probably setting up in Australia, taking that risk... and doing really well there - they love chilling out on Lujo furniture! It's been amazing seeing the international response to the hammock and bean bags.

Checking in on progress with the local manufacturer of his hammock stands.

Warren wants to keep Lujo products as handcrafted as possible.


What advice would you give to someone wanting to follow your path?
Definitely to develop persistence. A lot of times it was a real struggle, in one way or another. You have to stick to your guns, and believe in your product. I'd also say - just jump in and give it a go. You can plan and think about things too much... just find your feet while you're on the run! 

The Lujo hammock. Yes please.

Working up a new product idea


You're just about to launch a new lounger, which is a collaboration with Tim Wigmore - how did that come about?
I've always wanted to collaborate with another designer, and have a list of people I'd like to work with! I'd been a fan of Tim's design work over the years, so eventually I just approached him. We have a few products in the works, it's really exciting.

What's next for Lujo?
The exciting process of simply adding more products to extend the range. The common thread with Lujo will always be about quality, form and above all... comfort. To me, a life well lived means plenty of RnR, and I want to make products that help people do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment