Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dastkar 2010 and me

You know what I did last weekend. 
Don't you?

I went to the Dastkar spring fair that is on at the IGNCA lawns in New Delhi. It wasn't as much of a 'spring' fair though, what with the grey skies and unexpected rain playing spoil sport at the open venue. But the beautiful crafts and textiles, and the friendly craftspeople more than made up for the un-february like weather.
 
Here are some snapshots from Dastkar:

Cloth lanterns right at the entrance; Kutch embroidered coat; Painted urns (matka)


Lacquer toys from Ettikopakka district in the state of Andhra Pradesh; Metal figurines from Bastar

Wooden furniture and items from Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh; Woven rugs from Gujrat (I picked up the red/yellow one from this lot)

Painted bamboo bangle boxes; Tanchoi weave saree

Clip boards made of block printed recycled fabric; colorful fabric bags from Ranthambore's women coop in Rajasthan

Ok, so the two pics above refuse to part and let me write between them. I will let them be given the post Valentine day spirit and such. 
Pic 1: Phad painting; another form of embroidery from Gujarat
Pic 2: Row upon row of earthern urns; Kite stall! The ubiquitous charkhi and maanjha : kite spool and line



 
[All pics taken by me]

No comments:

Post a Comment